Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Be joyful, patient, and faithful.

So lately I've been feeling a little blue and haven't been sleeping too well. Last night, as I lay staring at the ceiling, I decided to grab the Bible off my nightstand. Reading it always seems to calm me down a little. Not that it puts me to sleep (haha) it just gives me peace so that I can sleep! Anyhow, I flipped to the concordance not knowing what to read. After skimming about every single word in the concordance, I finally made my way to the book of Romans where this verse caught my eye and greatly encouraged me:

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." — Romans 12:12

This verse is so applicable to every area of our lives. Whether it's love, business, family, school, etc. The "patient in affliction" part really stood out to me. Affliction doesn't just go away, God wants us to be patient in those hard times. I suppose a great deal of learning comes from those times. But it's a nice reminder to just be patient, as hope and good things will follow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping that whatever has you blue fades into the ether, Rene... you're too awesome to be down for long, and I'm glad you found some comfort in the word.

Whenever I feel like I'm fighting more than I can handle, I go back to my favorite verse:

"Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
-Isaiah 40:31

René Tate said...

You're awesome, Roger. Thanks for the comment. That's a great verse. I'm a BIG fan of James 1:2-3 "Consider it pure joy my friends whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." Didn't even have to look that one up. ;)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree!! I have been going through much of the same and hearing this really helps! Thanks so much for your great thoughts. :-)

René Tate said...

That's great to hear, Alicia. Not that you're going though a blue time, but that these words encouraged you! The goal was to spread the encouragement. I'm glad it spoke to you.